Monday, August 11, 2008

Patriot Pre-Ride

Saturday morning, I got up bright and early packed the car with the girls' stuff and headed to Williamsburg for the 56 mile Patriot Pre-Ride. Although I have no intention of doing the Patriot Half, I thought it would be fun to ride with the girls and it was!

It was a beautiful day. The ride was supported with water and snack stops and some very kind volunteers. The ride went well, I got into aero alot. Margo stayed in the back with me, (a kind soul).

Everything was going well, until the last 15ish miles on Rt 5 which started around 11 a.m. When we stopped at the mile 30 water stop my right calf seized up in a cramp. I did an Orange Power Gel. I hate Gu's but it was ok.

Margo told me that at some point I had opened up a can of whoop-ass because for 5 miles she had to cycle @ 20 mph to catch me. I said she was a liar. She swears it's true! Who knew?! I guess there's nothing like the fear of getting run over by a boat trailer to light a fire under my legs! I swear, if I never ride on Rt 5 again, it will be just fine with me! People are travelling at 55 mph, and really do not care that you are riding on the side of the road.

As soon as I could, I got on the bike path about 5 miles from the Jamestowne High School end point. I'd much rather ride a little slower, say "Excuse me, on your left" to the leisure riders than continue the risk of that road.

I hope that other cyclists will consider using the path that is part of the Capital Trail. It seems unwise to ride on the road when a path is provided for our use. While we complain about the manners of the motorists, are we really using our best manners being on the road when a paved path is provided just 10 feet to the right?

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

During our East End ride this weekend, Karen B. pointed out the Cap to Cap trail in progress. It will be so cool when it is done (years from now)!