Monday, June 9, 2008

What a weekend!!

Temperatures topping 100 in early June? This is unbelievable!

My alarm was set for 30 mins later than I thought (6:30 not 6:00 a.m.) So I flew to the 7 a.m. bike hoping I wasn't going to be left for the hill workout. They were still in the parking lot. When the ride began, I was having trouble clipping in, so I was the last of the pack and the object of Blake's pity. So God bless him he stayed with me most of the way. He even pushed me up two hills, yes, literally pushed my bike up the hill! After about 15 miles he turned me over to Derik and Cyndi and we continued the ride with gentle rolling hills, pleasant conversation, and a general good time. I loved the 2nd portion of the ride, (no offense Blake!)

I needed to run 6 miles but was only attempting 1 due to shin issues. I manged to run most of it, but when I saw other TG friends I had to walk and chat. It was just tooooo hotttt!

Then off to a playoff baseball game for my mini-Derek Jeter. He played fabulously! He pitched beautifully and his team won. More games to come.

Then a graduation party for a neighbor.

Then a going away pool party for a friend.

Then another playoff game for my biggest boy. Their team lost and he was the last out. He was very unhappy and threw his helmet. That made me very unhappy. I can't stand unsportsman-like behavior! Or is he just being a teen-aged boy?

That was Saturday!

Sunday was more relaxing with breakfast cooked by the great husband. Then a trip to Barnes and Noble with the two little ones.

Then the TRIgirl picnic. My wonderful husband stood over a flaming grill, (yes, flaming in 100+ temperatures) to cook hot dogs, my guilty pleasure. It was a pleasant time.

Then Grandison brought me my race glasses. One for the Sprint and one for the Half-Ironman. I started to cry. I feel like such a poser taking the Half-Ironman glass. Yes, I was close (68+ out of 70.3 miles), but I wasn't allowed to finish. And I have such shame and regret about this. I don't even know quite how to deal with it.

I wish I could pinpoint what happens to my brain during the swim portion of a race, but it is definitely a panic response! Even during the 300 meter swim of the Sprint in the pool, I panicked! What the heck?! I'd love a "magic pill" to fix this, but in the meantime I'll just keep training, keep racing, and continue to deal with my swim issues!

1 comment:

carmen said...

tg dj!

just saw your *old* comment on my blog
thanks so much for it
havent contacted hubby
or vice versa
but definitely interested in any inside info!

super congrats on your races
some days are tougher than others
and you worked it out

so drop the guilt sister!

i have taken a much longer than anticipated break

but i may make a comeback thanks to deanna b anna and the beebs

we had a great time cheering
at eagleman
hope to see you very soon
xoxoxo
c