Monday, March 30, 2009

Monument Ave 10K

The season has officially started. Time to pick a race and follow a schedule. I think I'll do the Power Sprint on May 31. That was my first tri and I do enjoy it. At Masters Thursday night, we did a 300. I had to stop a few times because our lane got clogged up and my time was still 7:54, which is better than I've ever done before during that race.

The first TRIgirl swim is tonight with Karen coaching and I'm excited. Of course, I'm nervous, as well, because I'll be swimming with the girls training for IMUSA, but I have a feeling we won't be in the same lane! ;)

Saturday's race was great! TRIgirls met at the Cathedral steps for some photo ops and just to be together. Of course, I was nervous all morning, but once I made it to the meeting spot, all was well, because I was with my girls! It was freezing while we waited, but there was a lot of chatting and well-wishing! We did the final Porta-Potty stop, checked our bags and I walked with new TG Ronke to her wave at the start. Gave her a hug and a kiss and left her knowing she was going to do great and she did! Fifteen minutes faster than her estimated time!

As I proceeded to my wave, I saw new TG Holly. Gave her a shout out and she was in a slower wave than she should have been. We were supposed to be running in the same wave. It was awesome, we were able to start together. I showed her how to pee through those mesh panties in the TG skirt, right there on Broad St. (I think she may have been a little shocked!) Bless her heart, she was trying to figure out how to get me to a porta-potty and I was already done.

When I signed up for the race, I thought I'd be doing a lot more training than I did, so I signed up for the 58 minute wave. During the pre-run I clocked a 68 minute time, so I was cautious about going out too fast. My first mile was 10:13. I was pleased. That was a good pace for me. The second mile was around 9:40 and after 30 minutes my watch doesn't clock seconds anymore, but every mile I was steady on the 10 minute pace. I tried to negative split after the turn around, but I just didn't have it. The negative split is a skill, I have failed to master.

I had told my family not to come to the race. I hadn't trained I didn't expect to do well, and I just didn't feel like they needed to go through the hassle of coming downtown. But, when walking to the meeting spot, I kept seeing all the children and parents heading to the kids run and I got a little weepy. So, I texted Paul to ask if they could come down. I swear, hoping to see their faces at the finish, kept me going. And as the finish line was in sight...there my wonderful family was on my right side, screaming and waving! I blew them a kiss and finished!

At the finish, now remember we're talking 62 minutes here, nobody was sprinting, the guy just in front of me stops and pukes something yellow. (They were serving blue power ade, so WTF?) I was like "Dude!". And in swoops SusieQ to the rescue. "Keep moving...he'll do it again". She walked me out of the finish area and to the food area. She told me how she got to do that for the Male SECOND PLACE finisher. Of course, she made me feel like every bit the celebrity that guys was! I got to see several other TRIgirls at the after park area. Then off to meet more girls for hot chocolate, and then finishing with a trip to Banditos with ZonaGirl and her man.

What a way to start the season!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great day - you were fantastic (even when the guy was throwing up on you)

Ceeej said...

Great job & great race report. Glad your family made it for your finish.